Sunday, January 20, 2008

What a Gift!!!!!


Leaving my cozy warm home on a bitterly cold winter's day is not something I do without an extremely good reason. Today I had just such a reason, and I am happy, happy, happy that I ventured out. The motivation came in an email I received on Friday from a delightful woman, Pam, whom I had the great good fortune to work with at the National Cancer Institute's Mid South Cancer Information Center in the years prior to my retirement in 2005. Pam wrote to say that she and Toni, another loved member of that CIS staff, wanted to drive over to my neck of the woods and have lunch with me. Given that the three of us have not seen each other in well over a year, I'd have gone even had it been snowing bloody blue blazes.


We met at Applebee's, and the other patrons probably thought we were long lost sisters from all the hugging we did right there in front of God and everybody. Being with them again, catching up on the events of our lives, just being together brought home to me forcefully how blessed I am by their friendship. You know the kind of bond where you haven't been in contact with the other person in a long time, but there is no sense of estrangement when you meet again, rather just an instant picking up where you left off? That's how it was to see Pam and Toni again. Pure magic!


As if being with them again was not enough joy, they brought me one of the most meaninful gifts I have received in a long, long time. It's a crocheted prayer shawl which they took turns working on. Done in my favorite color, purple, it is super soft and snuggly. Not only am I heart warmed that they worked together to create it for me in my favorite hues, the pattern they used touches me deeply too because it's a pattern built on threes and represents the Trinity. They asked that each time I snuggle under its warmth that I remember I am enfolded in their love for me. That led to tears on my part, let me tell you!!


So here I sit, once again back in the welcome warmth of my home, with the purple shawl warming me from toes to neck, being supremely grateful that my life is blessed by Pam and Toni and their precious gift. I am truly one lucky old woman!

2 comments:

Carol Stocker said...

Daaaahling, you look mah-ve-lous! But where is Hecat? She's missing from the comfy chair scene that I always imagine in my head. Hugs, Carol

Unknown said...

Patricia - you are right you are blessed to have such wonderful friends, and the shawl they made you is beautiful; one of my favourite colors too.
Oh and I loved your about me piece on your blog x